• Provide a “real-life” experience of open streets activities/ placemaking as a participatory and collaborative process that inspires people to collectively reimagine and reinvent public spaces and streets in order to maximize shared value. Focus shall lie on streets as public spaces and reclaiming space for pedestrians and cyclists
• Equip city officials with an understanding of how to plan, facilitate and implement open street activities
• Provide guidance to city officials upon return and support them in planning for their own open street activity
10 African City officials 10 African NGO representatives (urban mobility related, NMT advocacy)
Take participants to Cape Town during an open street activity – complemented by training sessions. Open streets Cape Town has recently developed an “Open Streets toolkit” that shall be shared during the training.
The goal of the placemaking/Open Streets training is to inspire and guide city officials to conduct an own placemaking activity in their respective city – by having participated in an innovative, peoplecentered, fun approach of experiencing Cape Town’s open street event/ complemented by training courses.
"The training will be made of training modules on complete street design complemented by a practical experience of an open streets activity in Cape Town:
Complete streets design
• Introducing tools and tactics cities can use to make streets safer, more livable, and more economically vibrant
• Principles and practices of complete urban street designs (incl. street and intersection design elements)
• Interim design strategies (temporary measures, tactical urbanism)
• Participatory design processes
Training on how to conduct an open street activity
• What is placemaking/ open streets?
• Why is placemaking/ open streets important?
• What are the mobility-related concepts?
• Who are the stakeholders?
• What are the financial implications for my city?
• How can I make placemaking happen in my city?
Africa Introducing Tactical Urbanism for African Cities
• What impacts can placemaking have on project development in my city (turning temporary measures into permanent measures and actual projects)?
Open streets experience (“real life”)
• Experiencing open streets activities on the ground
• Observation of the underlying concepts of “Streets as Public Spaces” and “Reclaiming Space for Pedestrians and Cyclists”
• Exchange session with officials from the city of Cape Town "